Power of reviews
Our brains change everyday. We can use this fact to get more things done via weekly/quarterly reviews.
Why waste time reviewing the week when you can use that time to get something done?
This was my thinking for my early 5 years into career as developer & founder. Investing time in hustling always got the priority than investing time in reviewing.
Investing time in generating new ideas, always got priority than looking at the ideas I already had.
I was doing review only when shit hit the fan
I was unaware of the opportunities I was missing because of not doing a review. To explore,
I started doing a quarterly review
then I started doing a yearly review
then I started doing a weekly review
It took time to see things through but I observed major impact in life, thanks to reviews
- I discovered solutions that my brain had found already but I didn't have time to notice. Including the best of my work. These solutions and so the opportunities would have been missed without the reviews
e.g. One week, I learned about a new concept in algorithms. In weekly review, looking at what I learned, reminded me of an engineering problem at work which was critical but no working solution could be found at that time, this algorithm was an answer to that
- I could restate the questions with an improved perspective which led to finding answers to those important questions about business and personal life
- I could crystallize the knowledge that I gained by deep thinking otherwise that deep thinking would have been wasted
- I could correct the course of plans with the recent learning and perspective
- I could make more confident decisions by worrying less about the information I might have missed
- The best part, I could rely on my knowledge & insights more(as opposed to relying only on the external or secondary knowledge)
With every passing moment, our brains change
Every moment, we experience something, we learn something, our perspectives shift, we meet some new people, we encounter new ideas, our brain builds new neural connections to put us in a better position to "think differently"
That's why we need reviews to
- Accelerate Understanding: Accelerate our understanding and learning
- Apply Knowledge: Put our gained insights into effective use to solve challenges
- Gain Better Insights(aka Connecting the Dots): See patterns in our life, in our environment
Do the reviews
You'll speed up by slowing down for a day