6 Aug, 1991 : It was the next day after my birth when Tim Berners Lee launched the first website of the internet world!
The launch had nothing to do with me but knowing that I am as old as the internet got me to think.
The internet world that we see today(the World Wide Web) has turned 27. Welcome to the 27 club.
The people who joined 27 club(turned 27 recently), we grew in, err. grew with this internet world for entire life and have a very special relationship with it.
This relationship between the people and the internet, is not only interesting, it has become the basis of many changes in our life at fundamental level.
The most interesting and the only constant thing in this relationship is: Change
The 27 club is all about change
The change has spread out of this relationship. To other relationships, to other interactions.
The changes at first, look simple such as
- How we communicate to friends, family, colleagues and strangers! Changed!
- How we look for information(about friends, about jobs, about business)! Changed!
Looking through books and newspapersto
typing in searchbar
References from known personto
reviews from strangers
Trusting a personfor the information to
trusting a webpagefor the info
What's more interesting is: these changes have compounded into the change in
- The way we experience relationships
- The way we experience career
- The way we look at the world
We know about other people and they know about us more than they would have earlier, thanks to social media. No more waiting to meet new people for dating, friendship and career through dating apps, social media and professional networks. It's now easy to know about events in a different country, miles away, on top of that you may get to know what Trump thinks about that specific event. Earlier there were little ways to verify if an information was the truth or not.
And further more interesting thing is that these changes have compounded into the change in
- Behaviours and habits
- Understanding of the physical world around us
- The actions we take
Test 1: Ask your parents or an older friend, what did they desire from their bosses, from their government, from their relationships, from themselves when they were 27, you will see the difference. Ask them about what they thought of the society when they were 27, compare your own perception.
Test 2: Remove internet completely from your life for 60 days and see if your behaviour/habits/perception of the world change. Speaking from my experience, it does, a lot.
These changes are not quite intuitive. The 27 club has grew with it.
As we grow older, we are moving towards a point, where these new behaviours will dominate and more new ones will emerge.
One thing which haven't changed is
Most of our waking life have been and will be about work
Which is why the most interesting change to understand and watch out for is
- The change in the way we work
- We are automating more and more tasks which were done by humans earlier
- New ways of standardizing communication and making it easy, meaningful, fast and trustworthy
- New expectations from career, from our work relationships
- Totally diffrent work and new styles of work
To make better choices/decisions, we all need to be mindful about this relationship between people and the internet. Nurturing this relationship, at the forefront are
- People who are automating the communication between the two worlds(cyber and physical) - developers
- People that support developers to do this - digital entrepreneurs, designers and many others
Here, I leave you wondering
What are these new expectations from career and work relationships?
What are these new styles of work?
Share your views and do share it with your friends to know their views
Tweet to @Invide_Labs